- Find an online example of an individual or group being labeled “fundamentalist” in a mainstream media source: in an NY Timesstory, or by a commentator on CNN, etc. Post a link to that source.
- Given the context in which it occurs, describe why the author/speaker of this source uses the word “fundamentalist” in their piece.
- Do 10 minutes of internet research on the individual/group labeled as “fundamentalist” in the source you found. Briefly summarize who they are today, what their background is, and what their stated goals (if any) are.
- Which of Ruthven’s “family resemblances” of fundamentalism (traditionalist struggles with difference, doctrines of textual inerrancy, control of women as a visual boundary of group identity) does this group exhibit, if any?
- You may also find an example in which someone or a group is opposing or fighting against fundamentalism (using strategies that you read about in Bennoune’s book).
- In your opinion, is the source’s use of the word “fundamentalist” to describe this group/individual appropriate? Is the group or the individual’s fight against fundamentalism effective, why or why not?
No plagiarism please!!! Well-structure and well written.